pam

pam

The Burgess Boys: A Novel

The Burgess Boys - Elizabeth Strout Gosh, I don't know what to say about this book. One of the words that keeps coming to mind is dysfunction! Everyone and I mean everyone in this story was suffering in some way or another. At times, while reading I felt incrediably sad. I put the book down many times thinking that I would not go back to it, but I did. I was drawn to the story and I was drawn to the characters.

Why did Zach do what he did? Why was he so unhappy? Why was Bob such a sad sack? Would Susan ever be happy?

As I was reading the sad story of these sad people, I was hoping that every thing was going to be all right. I was also hoping that Ms Strout was not going to tie the story up in a nice little box with a nice little bow. She did not, although, I did get to experience a bit of closure on a few issues. Many more issues were left to my own imagination.

This is definitely a book that I would highly recommend to just about anyone. Be prepared for some dark times, though. This is not a comedy and it will make you feel grateful for all the good things in your own life.

Many thanks to Random House Publishing and Edelweiss for this ARC.