pam

pam

The Sandcastle Girls

The Sandcastle Girls - Chris Bohjalian WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!

I started this book a few days ago and I have to tell you that I am only able to read it in small bites. The book is so good and so very disturbing that I can feel myself becoming an emotional wreck! It has taken me about 10 days to get through this book. Not because it wasn't good, but because it is just THAT good. I can actually say for the first time in a very long time; I savored every single word of this book.

The subject of the book is the Armenian Genocide in Aleppo and the Ottoman Empire of 1915 and 1916. I am embarrassed to say that I had no idea that this even happened. How can humans do this to other humans? How is it that someone can feel so far superior to someone else that it is OK to commit these despicable acts?

I'm not sure if I am going to be able to express my feelings about the journey that this book and this author has taken me on. The characters; Elizabeth, Armen, Laura, Hatoun, Nevert, Helmut, Eric and Orhan. Each one of these characters (and more) made such an impact in the story. At times, I felt that I was right there beside each of them urging them on or saying "No, please don't do that or please don't go down that alley". Many times, their actions would take my breath away.

This is an absolute MUST read for everyone. It is disturbing, yes, but the writing is so *ing good (hows that for expressing myself).

Thanks Chris for another wonderful journey.

I have been fortunate to receive this book from Doubleday through Net Galley as an ARC.